Genetic Genealogy &
Traditional Family History Research
Experience & Expertise
- Over a decade of experience in solving tough genealogical problems.
- Expertise in conducting research through genetics, courthouses, archives, libraries, newspapers, digital records, and repositories in both America and Europe.
- Licensed private investigator (Missouri #2022001095).
- Adherent of the professional and ethical standards of APG and the Board for Certification of Genealogists.
- Dues-paying member of the Association of Professional Genealogists and the American Historical Association.
- Master’s degree and doctoral education (ABD) in History, from Washington University in St Louis.
- Advanced training in German at the Goethe Institute (Göttingen, Germany) and in paleography at the University of Warwick (Coventry, UK).
- Author of 2000 Questions for Grandparents: Unlocking Your Family’s Hidden History.
Latest Blog Posts
- What are the Different Ways DNA Can Help Identify People?
- How Low-cM DNA Matches Can Help You Solve Genealogical Brick Walls
- How to Identify Your Child’s Biological Father Without a Paternity Test
- How Professional Genealogists Use DNA to Find Adoptees’ Biological Parents
- The Life of a Genealogy Translator – Guest Post by Katherine Schober
Traditional Genealogical Research
Determining ancestral relationships using paper documents and digitized sources.
Genetic Genealogy for Adoptees
Analyzing DNA results to ascertain the identity of the biological parents of adoptees or people of unknown parentage.
IGG for Law Enforcement
Using DNA and genealogy to ascertain the identity of human remains or suspected violent offenders.
I am amazed at how much information Josiah Schmidt gathered on our family.Julie Krug – New Braunfels, TX
If you are looking to hire a professional genealogist, I recommend Josiah Schmidt.Wes Murphy – Buellton, CA